As its name indicates, the Bills, Overtures and Session Records Committee (BOSR) primarily has 3 areas of responsibility:
- Bills: BOSR shall receive from the General Assembly proposed amendments(s) to the Constitution. It shall report its recommendation(s) to Presbytery with a brief written synopsis of its reasoning.
- Overtures: BOSR shall receive all proposed overtures addressed to the General Assembly or other governing bodies. It may initiate overtures for Presbytery to consider. It shall report its recommendation(s) to presbytery with a brief written synopsis of its reasoning.
- Session Records: BOSR shall review the minutes and records of the Session of each congregation in accordance with the provisions of the Book of Order.. and shall make an annual report of its findings to Presbytery.
Clerks of Session: Below is some information that we hope will help you as you continue to serve the Church.
Session Records Review:
- 2010 BOSR flyer (Regarding Session Records review – updated 03/2010)
- Session Minutes Review Form
- 2011 Regional Meetings (To be announced)
- “A Guide for Clerks” by Ohio Valley Presbytery (excerpt from Equipping Clerks of Session handbook)
- Equipping Clerks of Session handbook (see pages 18 to 47 for training materials provided by 3 other presbyteries)
Submission of Overtures:
The General Assembly provides detailed information on how to submit an overture. That information can be accessed here.
Overture deadlines mean that this presbytery needs to consider any Book of Order amendments at our February 2012 meeting – so they need to be submitted to BOSR in December or right at the first of the new year. Other overtures need to be processed by our April 2012 meeting so need to be submitted to BOSR by late February.
Earlier is always easier since it gives the committee more time to provide advice and to think through the issues to make a recommendation to presbytery. Earlier submission also means that people in other presbyteries will see what you are seeking to do and may even ‘work their networks’ to get others to concur with the overture from this presbytery. If you are considering submitting an overture, please be in touch with BOSR chair Marc Jung email@example.com and Stated Clerk Kathy Runyeon so that they may alert the committee to the need for a meeting.