Racism Audit Team
As a Matthew 25 Presbytery, we are called to actively work to “Dismantle Structural Racism”. The Race Audit is currently underway. As the work progresses, please look for updates here, at Presbytery meetings, and from Invitations and Announcements emails. A team of 14 auditors (see list below) are working under the guidance of Jessica Vasquez Torres and Noah Kruis of Crossroads Antiracism and Organizing.
In late January 2023, the audit team began its “Formation Phase”. Between January and April we will be:
- developing courageous agreements for working together
- holding 1×1 conversations with each other
- reviewing the Presbytery’s history relative to its collusion and resistance to racism
- completing a “crash course” in Presbyterian polity
- identifying co-moderators
Next, we will use apply three tools to audit the Presbytery:
- Power Matrix,
- Continuum Stages, and
- Race Equity Survey.
After we gather data from these tools, we will analyze the results and identify strategic interventions. All our findings will be written up in a report and presented to the Presbytery for adoption. The audit is anticipated to take between nine to eighteen months to complete, depending on the pace of work the group can sustain.
We are grateful for the hard work that has taken place. We ask for your prayers for the hard work ahead. The audit team is: Talitha Amadea Aho (At Large), Mustapha Baksh (Irvington), Sharon Bartlett (Lafayette Orinda), Sylvia Chatagnier (Ygnacio Valley), Marge Campany (Clayton Valley) Angelina Garcia (Be Well), Lisa Justice (Clayton Valley), Linda Lee (Pres Church in Chinatown), Rick Leong (First Pres Berkeley), Matt Prinz (First Pres Oakland), Evangeline Pua (GKI), Rochelle Shaw (Sojourner Truth), Marda Quon Stothers (College Ave), Daeseop Yi (SFTS).
Walking the Walk
PSF Racism Audit Overview:
PSF’s Audit Support Team is currently conducting an internal racism audit to identify how systemic racism is embedded in our structures and culture. For more background information on the audit process and the work that has taken place to date, please refer to the “PSF Racism Audit Overview” for further details and information.
Antiracism Training – Toward Liberation Analysis Training:
This 5-week program takes a comprehensive look at how systemic oppressive, particularly racism is maintained by organizations. Together, we will build a shared understanding of systemic oppression.
- The historical development of institutional racism in the US and how it impacts society today.
- What is systemic racism? How does it operate institutionally and culturally in intersectional ways? How does it impact individual identity?
- What analytical frameworks are needed to intersectionality examine PSF’s culture and values.
- What are effective antiracist interventions? How can they facilitate the deepening of intersectional race equity within PSF.
- Dates: Five consecutive Mondays from 2 to 5 pm beginning Nov 7th. The program runs Nov 7 – Dec 5.
- Location: Online
- Registration Link: https://forms.gle/CCBShxn3auYNvkfcA
- Registration Deadline: October 29, 2022
- Class is limited to 30 participants
Why take this class?:
- To be in solidarity with Presbytery’s racism audit team
- The collective experience of antiracism training in a group setting will deepen your experience
- To reflect on antiracism work relative to yourself, your relationship to the Presbytery, and to this moment in history
- To experience both the power and accessibility of antiracism training from Crossroads’ trainer Jessica Vasques Torres
For more information, please contact Linda Spencer, , (510) 816-4747.